Sunday, April 3, 2011

managing college and sports



Neal Tisher is a 19 year old Sophomore from Mobile, Alabama. She is on the Track and Field team for the University of Mississippi and currently holds the school record for Pole Vault. She is also one of the schools scholarly atheletes and a member of Tri Delta sorority.

Me: What made you choose Ole Miss?

Neal: I loved the school. The campus is beautiful, and the people were all so genuinely kind. After my first visit, I couldn't see myself anywhere but here.

Me: Is it more difficult to manage your time when you play a sport in college?

Neal: For me, it's not so difficult. I have been doing extra curricular activities my whole life. I learned a long time ago how to schedule my days where I could have plenty of time for friends and fun outside of school and track. It would be difficult for me not to have a full schedule every day.

Me: Well, have your grades suffered any from having such a full schedule?

Neal: Not really. Like I said before, I have always had a lot of extra curricular activities, but in my family grades always came first, so if my grades would have suffered I would probably not be on the team. I carried the "grades come first" rule with me to college and I have not had a problem yet.

Me: Wow that is awesome! What would you say your proudest achievement has been since you have been here at Ole Miss.

Neal: That is a tough one, but I would have to say it happened this past weekend at the Florida Relays in Gainesville. I came in first place out of 19 in pole vault with a height of 4.07 meters. With that win I also broke my personal school record for the third time.

Me: Congratulations! That must be so exciting for you! Do you have any words of encouragement for any upcoming college atheletes.

Neal: Just give everything you've got. Work as hard as you can and you will able to do anything you want. Don't get side tracked and not focus on your schooling though, sports are nothing without an education to back it up.



No comments:

Post a Comment